Saturday, July 18, 2015

On the EVE of RAGBRAI


Greetings from Western Iowa... I am writing this while sitting in our RV after a fairly eventless trip from home in Greenville, NC to St Louis and then to Sioux City, Iowa. I have no idea what the total mileage was but I can tell you that I drove 11 straight hours my first leg and then 5 more the next day before I got to St Louis to meet up with the guys and the RV. It seems like we have driven another 8 to pick up our last guy and then 3 after that before arriving in Sioux City. Quite the trip I must say. 

Reflections


Over the last several days I have had a few minutes, if not hours, to reflect on why I am here. I even read an article that discussed various reasons why people decide to ride in this ride and could identify with several of the subjects in the article. I am sure it will be confusing for anyone who doesn’t ride or has never ridden, but looking at it from a more holistic level might help…think of it as a hunt for a Great White Whale or a climb to the top of a mountain or any other iconic trip that you’ve ever taken or heard of and you will be in the ball park.  And if you have been reading these blog entries all along you will know I am here because it is one of the few things that I have always wanted to do but just have not been able to do due to lack of time, resources, training, etc, etc. You will remember that this trip started in about March of 2014 when I listened to a guy talk about a coast – to – coast bike trip he had taken and I thought to myself that it sounded like fun and that I should really get ‘back on my bike’ and start riding. Getting on my bike was just a start and I have kept riding and riding until I arrived here the night before RAGBRAI XLIII (43). Let’s hope I can keep riding all week and end up safe and sound in Davenport, Iowa on Saturday after 460+ miles.



 As I have reflected back on my life so far during these long driving days (a few days before I left home) I often thought of people who are no longer in my life and tried to figure out what they would have said when I told them about this…I am sure there would be some good and some bad but it would all be interesting. My father, who passed away just about 10 years ago, would be his typical gruff self and question why anyone would ever set out on a trip like this. When I started riding a lot during the summers when I was in college, I was up early one day eating breakfast one the first day I wanted to ride to my summer job. I had ridden the route a couple of times over the previous weekend and knew that I could do it but he was not aware of that. All he had to say was “I don’t know why you would want to ride that thing so much… you will never get anywhere doing that.” and he basically forbid me from riding that day. (It didn’t work, I rode anyway). Well Dad, you were right so far since all of my rides have always been loop rides where I ended up right where I started. But tomorrow I will leave Sioux City, Iowa and not come back; I will pass through many small towns and essentially ride across the entire state of Iowa before ending up in Davenport on Saturday. My bike and my drive to enjoy my life will have carried me all that way and my bike will have indeed  “gotten me somewhere”. I am also sure that once I finish this ride my Dad would then proceed to question me about the whole thing in every possible detail and revel in my success. My Mom, who passed away just a few months ago, would just have sat quietly in the corner and nodded her head, but I’m certain she would have told everyone in the choir, the church, the assisted living place and her Facebook page that I was going to be in some silly ride across Iowa for who knows what reason.  My dear Sara, who passed away about 2 ½ years ago, would have chuckled and said something to the effect of “…go ahead, I’ll be right here at home cheering you on..” and then she would have jumped in the car for the road trip. Of course she would have had to fight for the front seat in the RV (car sickness) but her humor and positive outlook would have buoyed not only me but also all the guys with us. I recently found one of her favorite quotes and it is something like “It is our daily victories that pave the way to us being our greatest selves. Without the daily baby steps there will be no ground covered and no victories to be celebrated!” (Jonothan Roche).  These three important people were in my life for a long time before they all passed and as such I feel their support each and every day in everything I do and I am grateful for it.



Let's Go !

So tomorrow morning at about 6AM I will hope on my bike, dip the rear tire in the Missouri River and head east towards a quest I have had for quite some time. I already know it will be fun, just as I know it will be sweaty and hot and tiresome, but I know that I have the support of all the people who have loved me over the years to guide me along the way. Even with that.. Wish Me Luck.



Updates

I will try to post something on this blog every day but I doubt I will have the internet access and time to write, but I’ll do my best. I will be placing lots of photos on to my Facebook page that you can find even if you aren’t my “Friend” by searching for “James’s Ride to RAGBRAI” in the Search bar at the top of your page. And as a special treat for any of you who use “MapMyRide” you’ll be able to track me in near real time by using at the “live tracking” feature.



Thanks for reading and pray for a cold front! ! !

4 comments:

  1. Praying for cold, but no rain.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Praying for cold, but no rain.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for sharing your feelings here, James, I love the article. You had me at "Greetings from Western Iowa..."

    ReplyDelete
  4. How is the ride going? Are you getting enough peanut butter and honey sandwiches? Am thinking about you and the ride...! gr

    ReplyDelete