Thursday, April 14, 2016

SPRING TRAINING

My spring riding was going well and I had enjoyed being back on my bike and out in the weather until Tupelo, more on that later. Once we got started in the spring our Monday night riding group grew a little and that makes riding more fun, our local group put on a successful 'Women's Ride' in an attempt to get more locals riding and I rode in a couple organized rides including a very fun "Coastal Ride" put on by CycleNC. AND I took a week long trip that covered the entire length of the Natchez Trace from Natchez, MS to Nashville, TN - all 442 miles of it! And now that my arm is finally getting better I just got to the point where I can type well so I figured I'd better finish this blog.

Natchez Trace Ride 

At the "welcome sign" near Natchez, MS
The Natchez Trace is a National Parkway that is essentially a two lane road that travels along an old Native American path that was also used by traders way back in the day. There is no commercial traffic on it and the speed limit is a maximum of 50 mph so it gets only tourist traffic except when it passes near metropolitan areas, which are few and far apart. It runs from Nashville, TN all the way down to Natchez, MS (which is in the southwestern corner of Mississippi). Think of it as a "Blue Ridge Parkway" without the mountains. The total mileage is 442 miles and it is probably the best asphalt I've ridden on from start to finish. It passes thru farm land and forests and there are a ton of historical places along the way to stop and view. The trip was organized by "Adventure Cycling" and we had 12 riders and two guides. We camped out at state and private parks almost every night with the exception of a hotel near Jackson, MS and a camp called "French Camp" where we stayed in a guest lodge. Several of us took a few side trips along the way just so we could see some different scenery and/or get some ice cream.
Born in a "Shotgun Shack"
 The highlight of the side trips was a venture into Tupelo, MS to see the birthplace of Elvis...we ate breakfast at a local diner, visited the hardware store and then saw the house that Elvis and his family lived in until they left Tupelo to move to Memphis. It was a great side trip until we took a wrong turn and I fell off of my bike and injured my left wrist, arm, elbow, shoulder and right thumb (?!?!?). Essentially I tried to scoot my bike over a bump in the asphalt and didn't turn my wheel hard enough into it so the bike went one way and I went the other - O U C H! is the four-letter word I screamed as I bounced off of the pavement.  One of our guides had an ACE bandage and he wrapped my elbow so that I could finish the ride that day and later at camp a doctor that was in our group took a quick look at it and said that he felt like I didn't break or tear anything, just bruised/sprained it all. I finished the rest of the ride for the week and became one of those "EFI" riders (Every Friggin Inch) who doesn't quit or get off his bike. A label I'll proudly wear considering that earlier this spring I cut two rides short due to weather/cold/rain...I am glad I got to finish this one! AND I am proud to say that I've now ridden across THREE states: Iowa, NC & Mississippi.  

Other than that nasty episode we all had a great time and enjoyed the rural scenery and stopping to enjoy many historical exhibits along the way. All the riders were lots of fun to meet and share riding stories with but none of our stories could top the story of Rich... in 1964 he and a high school buddy rode their new 10 speed bikes from Ohio to California AND BACK. No phones, no internet, no Strava, no nothing. I'm still in awe of how someone could do that now, much less 52 years ago!
Four of us at mile marker 442!
As usual with trips like this the first few days drug by and then the last few flew as we tried to enjoy as much as we could. The weather cooperated almost all the time with the worst being a 2 hour rain one afternoon and two days of mean headwinds during the last two days. The temperatures were perfect for riding but a little chilly for camping but we all survived to meet up for a going away dinner at the famous "Loveless Cafe" on the outskirts of Nashville. If you ever want a fun and unhurried ride thru the deep south I would highly recommend riding the Natchez Trace! !
A fairly typical day on the Trace...lots of pretty flowers!
 
 


CycleNC Coastal Ride

Not something you see everyday....
My hurting arm really caused me to cut back on my riding but I figured I should ride in the Coastal ride since I had already paid for it :). So we headed to Edenton, NC in late April to enjoy three days of scenic riding around the eastern part of NC. CycleNC is an organization that does a great job organizing three rides every year: 'Coastal', 'Mountains' and 'Mountains to Coast'. I rode in last years hurricane shortened Mountains to Coast ride and marveled at their ability to run such a great ride despite all the conditions they had to deal with. They did not disappoint with this ride. The routes were great, the rest stops were well stocked, the camp sites were really cool and the rest of the events were great - CycleNC could teach a lot of organizations a ton on how to run great rides!

BROWNIES for Days ! !
The "PB & J Ladies" have been fixtures on the three CycleNC rides I've been on...
 A highlight of the weekend was getting to spend some time with new friends Meredith and Dave from central Virginia. I met them on the Natchez Trace ride and it was fun to see and ride with them again. 

What's Next?  

This year I was again chosen to be a "Hincapie Ride Ambassador" and have really enjoyed meeting the people at Hincapie Sportswear, the other Ambassadors and being able to wear their truly superior cycling gear.  They set us up again with great stuff and have been good resources with cycling questions I've had and it's been an all around great time. Check them out and also check out their "Gran Fondo" ride in the fall, it's a fun time in the mountains just north of Greenville, SC. 

#RideHincapie and #GoTigers
I have been able to start back riding more and more as my arm heals. I hated having to alter my plans for this summer due to my arm injury but it was just too unpleasant to ride and kind of scary in crowds since I could not handle my bike as well as I need to; so I have passed on several rides so far, most notably the "Assault on Mt Mitchell". That is a very tough 100+ mile ride that spends the last 25 or so going straight up to the highest point east of the Mississippi. Oh well, better luck next year! I traded that ride for next weeks "Tour de Vino" in the Yadkin Valley area of central NC and am looking forward to seeing a new area of the state. 

After that ride I am awaiting the arrival of my friends Scott and Angela as the ride their way across the US from Colorado to the Outer Banks of NC. I'm hoping to meet up with them in Richmond and then ride with them down to Greenville and on to the Outer Banks. They have been having a blast and learning a lot about touring that I hope to learn as I ride with them for a few days. You can follow their ride on their blog at: Outer Banks By Bike. I promise you it's a much better blog than mine with fewer words and many more photos!

Later in June Wendy and I will be riding in the three day "Bike Virginia" ride near Woodstock, Va and I'll combine those days with my Richmond to Williamsburg ride I'll do with Scott and Angela to say that I've ridden across Virginia ! After all that I hope to find one or two more one week tours to take, so keep your eyes open for me and let me know if you see anything in your area that looks like fun!

Until then, have a great time and stay on your bike ! !



1 comment:

  1. James,
    Your are my blogging mentor! Thanks for helping me get started. I enjoy writing our blog but it does take some time. We're looking forward to hooking up in VA, crashing at your house and riding through NC with you. We're in Illinois now so it won't be too long! Good luck on the healing process. I hope you get back to normal soon.
    Take care,
    Scott

    ReplyDelete