Thursday, July 9, 2015

GETTING READY TO ROLL.....


I was lucky enough to spend the last two weeks at a friend’s beach house with several friends and ride almost every day with one or more of them. As of this week I have ridden almost 3,000 miles in about one year getting ready for my big ride (and enjoying myself most of the time J ) I am still essentially on my training schedule with a few weeks lacking for total miles but getting on my bike at least three days each week and even lately riding ten out of thirteen days and EIGHT DAYS IN A ROW. While these rides at the beach have been relatively short (20 – 25 miles) they have been fairly windy which should be good experience for what I’ll be facing in Iowa.




Lena "Leaning" at the Beach...


BIKE

I recently had my bike tuned up which included a through cleaning (which is almost for naught now) and a new chain. According to the mechanic, we ‘flat land riders’ tend to wear out our chains more than others since we have constant pressure on our chain the whole time we are riding - sure. And I have a new "rough road" rear tire on my backup wheels so that I can use it if I choose to ride on the optional ‘gravel loop’ on Day 2 of the ride. I am really looking forward to that segment since it will be the first ever gravel segment in RAGBRAI.



PACKING

I have packed a tote full of ‘stuff’ that I might need and am in the process of organizing my cycling clothes so that I can minimize the amount of luggage that I will be carrying. Nonetheless…it will still be a lot of stuff.



RIDING

As for riding my bike I rode today and am planning to ride on Saturday and the following Monday and then taking the rest of the week off. I will be heading west on Thursday the 16th to meet up with my friends in St Louis and then on to Sioux City, Iowa for the start of the ride on Sunday the 19th. We will be riding from Sunday through Saturday when we end up in Davenport on the Mississippi River. See: http://ragbrai.com/routemaps/2015-route-maps/ for more details on the route.



AND KEEPING YOU UP-TO-DATE

I plan to write a blog posting each day of the ride to talk about the highlights of the day and share a couple photos….that is if the internet service holds up each evening, I’m sure that it will be tough to get a good signal in many of the smaller towns but I’ll try because I know the tens of readers I have will on the edge of their seats waiting to here what’s happening. I will also create a separate FaceBook page and post the blog there with more photos as the days roll on. You should be able to find the FaceBook page by looking for “James’s Ride to RAGBRAI” in FaceBook. AND, as if that is not enough, you can follow me in near real time if you have a “MapMyRide” account and follow me using my username of “JMGARD58”. Then you will need to click on their “Live Tracking” option and you will be able to see me as I ride the roads of Iowa.



That is about it for this week at the beach…

see you in Iowa! ! !


No comments:

Post a Comment